Here’s what I learned today, lest I forget.
You can say the English word “nice” when you’re speaking Chinese. Just make sure you say it in fourth tone: nìce. 你現在的女朋友沒有你以前的那麼 nice. Your current girlfriend is not as nice as your ex.
Mix Coffee and Tea is closed on Mondays. Tragic.
If you go into a restaurant with no English or picture menu and you ask for a deep-fried boneless chicken thigh with rice, vegetables, and soup on the side, they can probably accommodate you for less than $3 USD.
If you look hard enough, you can find an online map of free wifi hotspots of Taipei.
If you walk around in your neighborhood a little, you might find My Warm Day, a coffee shop (in the New York sense) that has free wifi.
You know what’s funny? Skritter thinks I know 900 characters. My working knowledge is far less than that, but it’s nice that someone has faith in me.
Lots of good vocab below from my lesson today, plus some words I learned on the way.
- zhuānmén: specialized
- 恐怖份子 kǒngbù fènzi: terrorist
- 暴力 bàolì: violence; (use) force
- 恐怖主義 kǒngbùzhǔyì: terrorism
- 金子 jīnzi: gold
- 壽司 shòusī: sushi
- 不二價 bú’èrjià: fixed price
- 翻譯 fānyì: translate; translation; interpret
- 間隙 jiànxì: interval; gap; clearance
- 倚靠 yǐkào: lean on; rely on; depend on
- 即將 jíjiāng: will shortly; soon; be on the verge of
- 抵達 dǐdá: arrive; to reach (a destination); touch down
- 民間故事 mínjiāngùshi: folktale
- 網路 wǎnglù: (Taiwan) network (computer, telecom); the Internet
- 油水 yóushuǐ: oily; profit, greasy (as in slimebally)
- 出產 chūchǎn: output
- 客套話 kètàohuà: polite expressions; civilities; social decorum; you’re just being polite
- 烘焙 hōngbèi: cure (tobacco, etc.); dry over a fire
- 木頭 mùtou: wood; log; timber
- 製品 zhìpǐn: products; goods
- 銅線 tóngxiàn: copper wire
- 捲 juǎn: to roll (up); to coil; (mw for tapes)
- 比起來 bǐqǐlái: comparing/compared to…
- 保全 bǎoquán: to preserve (a security guard, in Taiwan)
- 保安 bǎo’ān: security personnel
- 中央空調 zhōngyāng kōngtiáo: central air-conditioning
- 點子 diǎnzi: idea; spot; dot; speck; drop (of a liquid)
- 製 zhì: manufacture; made of a certain material
- 銀製 yínzhì: made of silver
- 鋼製 gāngzhì: made of steel; steel (bar, screw, product etc)
- 銅製 tóngzhì: Made of copper
- 塑膠 sùjiāo: plastic; synthetic resin
- 細緻 xìzhì: delicate; meticulous
- 健談 jiàntán: be a good talker; be a brilliant conversationalist; glib
- 親切 qīnqiè: kind; amiable; cordial
- 害羞 hài xiū: blush; shy
- 開通 kāitōng: open-minded, liberal
- 窗子 chuāngzi: window
- 第一名 dìyī míng: first place; gold medal winner, somebody’s favorite thing
- 落地窗 luòdìchuāng: French window; (literally) a window that touches the ground
- 人孔蓋 rénkǒnggài: Manhole cover
- 老家 lǎojiā: native place; place of origin; hometown
- 勞駕 láo jià: excuse me
- 落價 luòjià: to fall or drop in price / to go down in price
- 特價 tèjià: special price; bargain price
- 飲料 yǐnliào: beverage; drink