Here’s a recipe for an Ojo Rojo; a delicious morning booze-up for next time you’re in Mexico. Your Mexican friends might call it a “michelada con tomate” but our bartenders in Cozumel called it an “ojo rojo.” (this recipe is for Huggy Luke in Brisbane)
- Salt the rim of a pint glass by dipping the rim into a plate of water, then a plate of kosher salt.
- Pour an ice cold beer into the glass. Extra points if it’s a sunny Mexican brand.
- Drop in two gloops of tomato juice.
- Add a dash of vinegary hot sauce (like Tabasco) and a dash of Worcestershire
- Add cracked black pepper
- Squeeze a fat cheek of lime, drop the spent cheek into the drink
- Enjoy and think well of me.
The doormen in Manhattan are going on strike tomorrow, unless management offers an acceptable contract. I hope I can get my packages.
Overheard at Morgan’s Market
Noon. Dust, a tumbleweed cross the cereal aisle. I’m buying corn tortillas, and yes, I saw the Indonesian girl at the cash register. She saw me too. I pull the plastic bag off of some romaine lettuce, and drop in my cilantro. I walk past the dairy to the cash register, where Indonesian girl is finishing with the guy in line in front of me.
Indonesian Cashier (to guy in front of me): Gracias.
Guy in front of me: Gracias a usted. (leaves)
Indonesian Cashier (to me): Can I help you?
Indonesian Cashier: Salam! (not missing a beat) Kumusta ka?
Me (gritting teeth): Mabuti naman. Ikaw?
Indonesian Cashier: Mabuti rin. $12.94.
Me: Salamat. Sige.
Indonesian Cashier: Bye.
Me (under my breath): Dammit!